Sunday, December 6, 2009

FEATURED ARTIST - Katie Dawson from MissChief Maker


How long have you been creating art and how did you get started?14 months. Since Beginning Oct 2009. I got started because my mum decided to reconstruct a few baby girl dresses with vintage bits and they looked so lovely……we started from there.

What is the main inspiration and influences for your work?Being back in Canberra, having a baby daughter, needing to be more sustainable from an environmental perspective and I needed to divert from my previous professional life inspired me to create MissChief Maker.

When and how did you realise, this what you wanted to do with your life?When I felt a sense of balance and satisfaction with my life and family.


What other areas of life have shaped your work as an artist?A creative mother, she always has the attitude ‘I can do that’, my love of food and being creative with that, an appreciation of the finer things in life, I love shape, colour and form.

How would you describe the art & design scene in Canberra?Growing, clever, exciting.

What have you learnt most about establishing yourself as an artist?How challenging it is to get customers in the door! As a retailer, I’m in a very unique location, nestled in the trees in a plant nursery in Pialligo. It’s relaxing and serene but sometimes people don’t know there’s a real treasure of handmade goodies lying amongst the trees

Where would you like to take your business in the future?I would love to expand to stock more and more beautiful handmade goods and have Canberrans appreciate handmade. I would also like to be known in Canberra as stocking the best quality pre-loved children’s clothing.

http://www.misschiefmaker.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment