Saturday, April 23, 2011

Surface Design and Basketry with Jackie Abrams

CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Email: Valerie.Kirk@anu.edu.au by 26 April   As a minimum of 10 participants required.

SURFACE DESIGN and BASKETRY
JACKIE ABRAMS



“I have been a maker, mostly of baskets, for over 35 years. I have perfected my skills and consistently challenge myself to create new works. Sitting in my studio, with materials in hand, is always a source of fulfillment, meditation, frustration, and satisfaction.My teaching and craft development work have enabled me to travel to many places – all over the U.S., Australia, and Africa. These journeys, especially in Africa, have had a profound influence on my work and on my life. I am learning to simplify things, to state what is important. This is what I hope to express in the work I create.My pieces speak of the cultures and the women I have encountered. Their lives, their fabrics, and their colors inform the vessels I create.” See:  http://www.jackieabrams.com/  for details of Jackie’s work.

DESCRIPTION OF WORKSHOP. 
The workshop runs over 2 days and one evening to allow the combination of painting and preparing materials and basket weaving. Friday night will be the “painting party”- getting your own colours and surfaces ready for weaving, then on Saturday and Sunday participants will explore woven forms with their own individual materials.

Materials/Equipment list.  To be advised
DATE:  Friday evening 16 September 5-8pm Saturday and Sunday 17 and 18 September 10-4                                  
PARTICIPATION FEE: $150 wages/$99 unwaged Tea and coffee provided. Please bring your lunches.
.
ANU SCHOOL OF ART, TEXTILES, BUILDING 105 (off Ellery Crescent) ACTON. Parking opposite The Film and Sound Archives or car parks off Childers St. or London Circuit.
………………………………………………………………………………………………
TO ENROL e-mail  Melanie.Munnerley@anu.edu.au for payment instructions  
WORKSHOP NAME      JACKIE ABRAMS  
YOUR e-mail address, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER:  
Enquiries: 02 61255833                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment