Friday, August 28, 2009

FEATURED ARTIST - Eryka's Place


How long have you been creating art and how did you get started?
Have always been creative, but now I am retired I also have the time. The last two-year has been full on trying new things-decoupage earrings, designing boxes and silk scarf painting. Have created so much I have had to open on line stores to share my work with others.

What is the main inspiration and influences for your work?
I love color and texture especially in paper, just love Japanese Yuzen paper and have created several decoupage earrings and pendants using this lovely paper.
My obsession is decoupage, taking beautiful papers and creating glass-like unique pieces. The joke in my family is if you stand still too long Mum will paper you as well.

I do not go for traditional designs such as floral and angels, love Art Deco and Art Nouveau, and interesting color combinations. I also use leaves and flowers, fabric or just my own watercolor paintings.

Items that I decoupage are include boxes and coasters, jewelry and glassware. My favorite medium is canvas, creating a painting using various papers and other materials or a collage.

When and how did you realise, this what you wanted to do with your life?
When I retired it became a natural progression to develop my existing skills with experimentation.

What other areas of life have shaped your work as an artist?
One area of experimentation was flame glass bead making, which I enjoyed and was reasonable good at, but the cost was more than I could handle. I still move in those circles and I get inspiration from the color combinations that some of the glasses naturally create. There is a hypnotic effect to the molten glass and I achieve a similar feeling with the flowing varnish.


How would you describe the art & design scene in Canberra?
Canberra has so many talent artists but sadly they are mostly unknown.
There are several Arts outlets which are relative unknown such Strathnairn and Benedict House.

It is difficult to find sales outlets or opportunities. Galleries charge such large commissions. Maybe we need to band together and hold our own Art Show, let people know we exist.

What have you learnt most about establishing yourself as an artist?
Having to create items to a deadline for an Art Show or to fulfill an order, takes some of the joy of creativity away. In an ideal world you create to your hearts content, then simply place in a store and sell. Sadly this is unlikely to happen.

Where would you like to take your art in the future?
I am happy to sell enough to pay for my materials and maybe a little extra for myself. I still want to experiment with different mediums. I am happy with my range of Arts-color being the connection.


What advice do you have for other artists hoping to follow in your footsteps?
Be patience; get yourself known, and prefect your art. Mix with like-minded artists for inspiration.

URL
http://eryka91.wetpaint.com

No comments:

Post a Comment