Wednesday, August 19, 2009

FEATURED ARTIST - Kathy Geurts, Studio Amara


How long have you been creating art and how did you get started?Ive been creating art since I was three, in my Mum and Dads restaurant walking around with my paper and pencils.More serious art came in school then it was off to design college to get my degree. Then I opened my corporate design studio and found that people were prepared to pay for my design! After 23 years though I found it was no longer art and that’s how I discovered the mixed media jewellery and contemporary clays that I'm into now.

What is the main inspiration and influences for your work?
This is a difficult question because as every creative person knows, there is not just one point of inspiration or influence. What influences me mainly is the amazing forms in nature and being a Gemini Im very much influenced by what is happening at that point in time. Ive just come back from Greece and Turkey so that seems to be featuring heavily with me at the moment.

When and how did you realise, this what you wanted to do with your life?I did not realize that I would become a jewellery artisan until two years ago. I always thought I would be a landscape designer until I learnt I needed to study chemistry then I decided to switch to interior design. After applying to Randwick TAFE for their interior course and being told that I would be more suited to graphic design my path was carved out. Working within a commercial world where the client chooses what is good design and not I began to feel I was no longer creating and this drove me to seek out a new creative direction that would once again feed my soul.

What other areas of life have shaped your work as an artist?Being around children and looking at how they see the world. Studying with other teachers and learning too from the others at these classes.

How would you describe the art & design scene in Canberra?I think the Canberra scene is very sophisticated. I love the variety of artisans working in the area. In fact I feel that overall the standard of design presentation in Canberra , ie at the market scene is far superior than what is going on in Sydney.

What have you learnt most about establishing yourself as an artist?Believe, believe in yourself at all times. Do what makes you happy not someone else. If you are not passionate about a piece of design and art you are doing then don’t do it as it will only be second rate anyway.

Where would you like to take your art in the future?I would like to have my work represented in more galleries around Australia. While my work has become well known in the Southern Highlands I would like to create more presence in Canberra and Sydney.

What advice do you have for other artists hoping to follow in your footsteps?Again, believe in what you are doing, its normal to have self doubt but don’t let it stop you! Always research your market, networking is so important as we can't create in a void. Continue your training and education always as you must never stop growing.

URL www.studioamara.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment